Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
DPMM FC settle for draw
Sunday, June 15, 2014
Deputy Sultan His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah (L) watching last night's Singapore League match between DPMM FC and Geylang International FC at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas. The match ended in a 0-0 draw. BT/ Md Asdeny Yakub

Her Royal Highness Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah (C), HRH Prince 'Abdul Muntaqim (L) and HRH Princess Muneerah Madhul Bolkiah attend last night's match between DPMM FC and Geylang International FC at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium, Berakas. Picture: BT/ Ridhwan Kamarulzaman

Unlucky DPMM FC were made to settle for a point after a 0-0 stalemate against Geylang International FC in the Singapore League (S-League) last night.

Brunei's only professional team were denied by the woodwork thrice in a dominant second half performance at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas. It is only the second time this season that the league's best offensive team have failed to find the back of the net.

The draw means that DPMM FC have gone without a win for four consecutive matches but it halts their three-game losing skid in the competition. They still lead the 12-team table with 32 points from 16 games while Warriors FC and three-time defending champions Tampines Rovers are both a point adrift.

Geylang were the better team in the early going and Ridhuan Muhammad almost opened the scoring for his team in the 14th minute after firing from inside the box just to be denied by the post. The visitors got another chance two minutes later after Mustaqim Manzur skipped past four DPMM FC players to set up Ridhuan only for the Geylang skipper to fire over the crossbar.

DPMM FC replied in the next possession with defender Abdul Aziz Tamit getting on the end of a freekick by Mohd Hendra Azam Mohd Idris only to see the ball roll past the left post. The hosts got another chance in the 32nd minute after Azwan Ali Rahman dribbled into the box and got the ball to Rodrigo Tosi.

The Brazilian tried to chip the ball over Geylang custodian Siddiq Durimi only to see the ball go inches over the goal. Aliff Shafaein got his header on target for Geylang in the 33rd minute but Wardun Yussof was up to the task for the save in between the DPMM FC sticks.

Roy O'Donovan was through on goal the next minute but referee W Ravisanthiran judged the Irishman to have fouled Geylang defender Khairulnizam Jumahat at midfield. Siddiq got off his line to clear the ball outside the box in the 39th minute but the clearance landed at the feet of Roberto Alviz.

The Geylang goalkeeper did well for a tackle on the Croatian to get the ball out of danger. Aliff unleashed a shot that required Wardun to dive for a save to keep the game goalless just three minutes into the second half, O'Donovan got on the end of an Alviz cross five minutes later but Siddiq was on hand to save his effort

Alviz was looking more active and tried his luck in the 58th minute only to see his attempt sail just over the bar. The momentum was clearly with DPMM FC and Tosi had another opportunity five minutes later but his header went wide off the post. Siddiq did well to deny O'Donovan in the 70th minute but the latter was unfortunate as his attempt off the rebound struck the post.

The Irishman hit the post again seven minutes later from inside the box to the dismay of the home fans. Tosi had another chance in the 81st minute but his shot flew straight at the keeper. DPMM FC almost stole all three points in the 88th minute after Alviz won a freekick at the edge of the Geylang box.

He stepped up to curl the ball over the wall only to see it bounce off the woodwork. DPMM FC will continue their campaign against the Young Lions (Singapore national under-23 football team) on Wednesday at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.

Courtesy from Brunei Times