Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
Majra pick up first win
Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Majra United FC assistant manager Hj Mahadi Hj Md Zain (R) congratulating his players after their DST Super League win over QAF FC at the Balapan Track and Field in Berakas last night. BT/ Ak Fauzi Pg Salleh

Majra United FC's Faizal Mohammad (R) dribbles the ball in front of a QAF FC player at the Balapan Track and Field in Berakas last night. Majra United won the match 2-1. BT/ Ak Fauzi Pg Salleh

Majra United FC picked up their first three points in the DST Super League last night after defeating QAF FC 2-1 at the Balapan Track and Field in Berakas.

Faizal Mohammad and Mohd Azim Said found the net each for Majra United in the win while Mohd Abu Bakar Mahari scored QAF's only goal of the night.

With the win Majra United now climb to the seventh spot with three points while QAF fell to eighth with only two points to their name.

"It was a very nervous win for us, but in the end I am very happy with three points tonight," said Majra United assistant manager, Hj Mahadi Hj Md Zain, in an interview with The Brunei Times after the match.

"Pg Salehuddin Pg Damit performed very well in the defence tonight, but we had to take him out in the second-half due to injury, and we were a bit shaky without him,"

"But I am very happy with the win and we got to get ready for our next game against Najip FC," he added.

Majra United started brightly in the first-half creating a number of chances but failed to find a way past QAF's defence.

QAF gradually picked up their game with midfielder Mardi Mirza Abdullah Bujang spearheading their charge on the pitch, creating several goal scoring chances for his teammates.

Mohd Adie Arsham Mohd Salleh should have put QAF in front in the 20th minute when he was set through into the penalty box by Mardi Mirza but his shot was blocked by Majra United skipper Pg Salehuddin.

Pg Salehuddin was rock solid at the back for Majra United. The former DPMM FC defender was signed by Majra United earlier this season.

Faizal put Majra ahead in the 28th minute in the first-half when he made a shot from just outside the penalty box to beat QAF goalkeeper Junaidi Akim in goal.

QAF almost replied a few minutes later when Petrus Jumat made a shot from 30 metres out but his attempt was parried away by Majra United goalkeeper Mohd Sahan Mumtazali.

QAF's Micky Anak Gandi was sent packing in the 42nd minute after his second booking, following a dangerous tackle from behind on Faizal.

The second-half saw QAF dominate the first 20 minutes of the game.

Majra United became complacent with their lead and they were punished in the 81st minute when Mohd Abu Bakar Mahari scored from the near post following a long ball from the midfield.

Stunned by the equaliser, Majra United picked up their pace and midfielder Ak Yura Indera Putera Pg Yunos was instructed to help out in the attack.

The strategy paid off when a through ball initiated by the midfielder ended up at the feet of Muhd Azim who tapped the ball home from the far corner in the 89th minute.

The other match last night saw Royal Brunei Armed Forces Sports Council (MS ABDB) thrashed Wijaya FC 7-3 in a thriller at the Berakas Sports Complex.

Courtesy from Brunei Times