Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
Media FC edge Sungai Buloh FC
Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Media FC player (R) heads the ball while being marked by a Sungai Buloh FC player. Picture: BT/Yusri Adanan

A Sungai Buloh FC player (R) tries to dribble past a Media FC player in their Veteran Football Association (VFA) President Cup game at the Mentiri Secondary School yesterday. Picture: BT/Yusri Adanan

Hj Tamit Hj Jais helped Media FC walk away with a 1-0 win over Sungai Buloh FC (SBFC) in their Veteran Football Association (VFA) President Cup Group D clash yesterday.

The game was full of action packed plays as soon as the referee blew his whistle.

SBFC were the first to press into Media FC's penalty box in the opening two minutes, which was quickly replied by an almost perfect counter-attack.

Media FC's Hj Shahrudin Hj Abd Rahim received a long ball and duped his way past SBFC's last two before his shot over the keeper hit the crossbar.

The scare didn't seem to worry SBFC though, as they regained control of the game with barrage of attacks - though none seemed to find the back of the net at the Mentiri Secondary School.

Media FC's sole goal came in the 22nd minute when Hj Tamit received a pin-point cross from Ibrahim Bakar 20 meters out.

Hj Tamit controlled the high ball before he made a quick turn to rifle the ball into the back of the net.

He had the opportunity to boost their lead a minute later but spoilt the chance after hesitating in front of goal.

SBFC's Mohd Hasmyn Hj Mustapa had the best chance to equalise when he swiftly stole the ball from a goal kick to go one-on-one with Media FC goalkeeper Hj Md Nooh Hj Mohd Raub.

Unfortunately for Mohd Hasmyn, his shot went straight to the feet of Hj Md Nooh, who booted the ball to safety.

Nine substitutes were seen throughout the second half, which helped keep the constant attacks in play.

Media FC defender Hj Mohd Daud felt that their defence helped them win the game.

"They had chances to try and score but our defence was much better, so they couldn't get through," he told The Brunei Times.

"The game was 50-50 but we had luck on our side.

"SBFC did play well, they just didn't have the chance to score," added the defender.

Sungai Buloh FC manager Khairul Amri felt that the loss came from the players losing focus.

"We lost control in the midfield and the players lost their focus. So what to do?," asked Khairul

" I don't know what happened. Maybe we didn't have luck for this game," Khairul added.

The other Group D match saw IKLS Veteran outscore Stonevilla FC 7-4 at the Batu Apoi Sports Complex in Temburong.

MIISA United FC downed MBS United FC 3-1 at the Awang Semaun Secondary School (SMAS) in Kampong Lumapas while I Team defeated Jerudong FC 2-1 at the Raja Isteri Pg Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Secondary School in Tutong in the day's Group C clashes.

The Royal Brunei Police Forces Sports Council shot down Setia Bakti 2-0 in their Group B match that was postponed last Sunday at the Royal Brunei Police Forces headquarters in Gadong.

The Veteran FA Cup will kick off next Friday for two weeks before the President Cup resumes.

BESA FC will go head-to-head with MIISA United FC at SMAS while MBS United FC will face Kilugus FC at the Masin Secondary School at 4pm.

Astavilla Veterans will take on Satria Vet FT at the Berakas Camp Mini Stadium at 8pm.

Courtesy from Brunei Times