Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
Najip FC work hard to defeat Wijaya FC
Sunday, February 9, 2014

Najip FC player, Abang Nor Silmy Abang Hj Taha (R), keeps the ball away from Wijaya FC players, during their DST Super League match last night. Picture: BT/Saiful Omar

A Najip FC player (R) skips away from a tackle by a Wijaya FC players (L) during their DST Super League match at the Balapan Track and Field last night. Picture: BT/Saiful Omar

Najip FC picked up another three points after a 2-1 victory over Wijaya FC in the DST Super League last night.

They have now racked up six points from two games to sit second on the table behind the Royal Brunei Police Sports Council (MS PDB) who lead by goal difference.

Najip FC started the match off as the stronger side through controlling the ball as well as finding a few good chances at goal.

Wijaya FC finally found their pace to push back going into the 10th minute but it was a short lived moment for them as Najip FC took control once again.

Najip FC's superb play eventually led to Abang Nor Silmy Abang Hj Taha opening goal in the 31st minute at the Balapan Track and Field of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.

Their sensational goal started half-way mark at the foot of Noor Raimi @ Shahremy Karim who powered down the right flank before sending a spot on pass to Mohd Aminuddin Zakwan Mohd Tahir who brought it into the penalty box.

Mohd Aminuddin managed to send a quick pass across the penalty box in front of Wijaya FC's goalkeeper, Muhd Nashruddin @ Muizzaddien Selamat, before Abang Nor Silmy tapped it in.

Najip FC continued to dominate sending in a number of shots leading up to half time.

Wijaya FC finally found their equaliser through Abg Muhd Fakhri Abg Jaludin's counter-attack in the 62nd minute.

Abg Muhd Fakhri was allowed to go on an easy run after Najip FC froze in attack after they felt they should have been awarded a foul around Wijaya FC's penalty box.

Wijaya FC took advantage of the situation and booted the ball down the field that led to a chase down between Abg Muhd and Najip FC's last man before he slid the ball under the goalkeeper, Ron Junior Philip.

Najip FC, through Noor Raimi, took back their lead with a penalty kick that was awarded to them in the 72nd minute.

Najip FC's Mohd Daud Hj A Tengah received the only red card of the match after picking up his second yellow through a sliding tackle in the 89th minute.

Head coach Johari Bungsu felt the game was content with a 2-1 win but thought his players' performance still isn't at the level he wants them to be at.

"I know Wijaya FC are experienced players, which adds more pressure to Najip FC because of the results last year," explained the new coach who took over a team that didn't pick up a single point last season.

"The new management are going to have pressure with all the games because the players need to win every one of them.

"The players need to be consistent for the whole 90 minutes mentally and emotionally.

"It was the referee's decision and I can't comment on the calls he makes," said Johari.

Najip FC are scheduled to take on MS PDB this Wednesday at the Balapan Track and Field.

"We have to work hard in training because I know the policemen are very fit," added Johari.

MS PDB defeated Majra United 2-0 at the Berakas Sports Complex in last night's other match.

Mohd Zulkhairie Hj Md Salleh scored the opener in the 60th minute, which was shortly followed by Khalid Mustapah's goal seven minutes later.

The action continues today with Indera SC taking on QAF FC at the Berakas Sports Complex while the Royal Brunei Armed Forces Sports Council face Kilanas FC at the Balapan Track and Field at 8pm.

Jerudong FC will clash with Liang Lumut Recreational Club Football Team at the Padang Arena in Seria at 4pm.

Courtesy from Brunei Times