Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
Shalin ready to strike in Brunei
Friday, November 29, 2013

There will be no shortage of talent at this year's edition of the Megastrike Invitational Classic Bowling Tournament with former Asian No 1 Shalin Zulkifli scheduled to compete in the three-day competition.

The tournament - which kicks off today - is organised by Negara Brunei Darussalam Tenpin Bowling Congress (NBDTBC) and Megastrike Bowling Sdn Bhd.

"We do not have any major tournaments at the moment, and I was told by my friend, who is also on the Malaysia national team, that there is a bowling tournament in Brunei," said Shalin.

"The last time I was here was in 1999 during the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games and that was like 13 years ago.

"We just arrived today (yesterday)... I am not sure how the venue is going to be and we will see tomorrow (today)," she continued.

"It will be very interesting as we have a number of good bowlers in the tournament and I saw number of good local bowlers too," added the 2002 and 2006 Asian Games gold medallist.

"This year promises better and more competitive bowling action as we brought in number of professional and international bowlers in the competition," Megastrike Bowling Sdn Bhd administration manager Hjh Sharifah Rozlina Syed Elham told The Brunei Times at the tournament's venue last night.

"There are 14 invited bowlers coming from Indonesia, Malaysia and New Zealand. We also have 40 local bowlers bowling in the competition," she added.

The winner of the tournament will bring home a cash prize of $7,000.

The first-runner up will receive $3,500 and the third placed winner will receive $2,000.

The fourth and fifth placed winners will receive $1,000 and $800 respectively.

Trophies will be awarded to the top three finishers.

A cash prize of $2,000 will be awarded to the bowler who produces a perfect game without handicap.

The prize is to be shared equally in case more than one perfect game is played.

Ervin Lim Wai Mun of Sarawak will be out to defend his title.

The 17-year-old from Miri felled 3,830 pins over 16 games to beat his compatriot Muhd Syafiq Sajeli who finished with 3,672 points, while Kang Bo Long from Johor finished third with 3,642 points.

A total of 84 bowlers from Brunei, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong took part in the event last year.

Courtesy from Brunei Times