Five national bowlers left for Malaysia to take part in today's 36th Malaysian International Open Bowling Championship 2013.
Iqbal Damit and Pg Md Rudisofy Pg Hj Tajuddin will be taking part in the men's open, the most competitive category in the Nov 17-23 tournament.
Md Wafiuddin Hj Bakar and Ak Md Ardhi Pg Omar Ali will be competing in the youth boys open at the Sunway Mega Lanes, Sunway Pyramid in Kuala Lumpur.
The final bowler sent by the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, Zurina Abu Bakar will be taking part in the women's graded.
"We won't be setting high expectations for ourselves," Iqbal told The Brunei Times yesterday.
"We will just bowl our best and try to knock down as many pins as possible and gain experience.
"The more experience we get, the better we are in the athlete world," said Iqbal, adding the team would like to thank Megastrike Bowling Centre for sponsoring their training.
The main divisions for the tournament are the men's and women's categories, both offering hefty cash prizes.
The top-24 in the men's category will be paid out, with the champion receiving RM40,000 and a minimum payout of RM3,000 for the others.
The top-16 will be paid over in the women's category, with the champion walking away with RM15,000 and a mi nimum payout of RM1,500 for the others.
The other categories in the tournament are men's graded, women's graded, youth boys graded, youth girls graded, Milo junior masters, youth boys open, youth girls open and senior - all of which also offers the winners cash prizes.
The senior division is a new addition to the competition this year as organisers hope to attract former international bowlers.
Malaysian bowler Zulmazran Zulkifli took home the grand prize in the men's open last year, ahead of Singaporeans Mark Wong and Keith Saw - who came in second and third.
Malaysian bowler Zandra Aziela topped the women's ranks followed by Singaporean Shayna Ng in second and Indonesian Tannya Roumimper.