Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
National team lose third straight game
Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The national Under-16 team
posing for a photo at the
Brunei International Airport
prior to leaving for the
ASEAN Football Federation
(AFF) Under-16 Championship
2013 in Myanmar. Picture:
BT file

The national Under-16 football team took another beating at the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Under-16 Championship 2013 last night.

The Sultanate slumped to their third straight defeat after losing 5-0 to hosts Myanmar in the battle of the basement dwellers in Group A at the Wunna Theikdi Stadium in Napyidaw.

Brunei have now let in a total of 32 goals without finding the back of the net even once, with their previous two results an 8-0 loss to Cambodia followed by a 19-0 defeat to Australia.

According to the AFF website, Myanmar got the best of starts after captain Ye Yint Aung fired from 20m out to beat Bruneian keeper Abdul Mutalip Awang Mohamad in the eighth minute.

Ye Yint Ko doubled Myanmar's lead in the 18th minute after connecting on a corner from Hein Phyo Win.

Min Thu got his name on the scoresheet for the hosts in the 35th minute and it was 4-0 at halftime after an own goal by defender Mohd Azri Aspar just before the whistle.

Brunei picked up the slack in the second half with better defending to deny Myanmar a handful of chances.

However, the hosts did manage to add another to their tally after a defensive slip up allowed Phyo Win to score from inside the box in the 86th minute.

The campaign has been a far cry from the one that head coach Ali Hj Ismail had visualised, the former national player earlier saying that he was targetting a berth in the semi-finals at the very least.

The Sultanate's return to the tournament saw them start out their campaign with an 8-0 thrashing at the hands of Cambodia last Thursday before their hammering by Australia in their second match two days later.

Brunei will end their campaign against Vietnam tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Australia finished the group flawless after beating 10-man Vietnam 3-0 in the earlier match.

Australia took the lead through Daniel Maskin in the 19th minute courtesy of a free-kick from 25m out.

Vietnam was down to 10 men after striker Back Hong Han was shown his second yellow card of the game on the hour mark.

The Aussies responded quickly as Jackson Bandiera doubled their lead six minutes later.

Bandiera bagged a brace after connecting on a cross from Cameron Joice four minutes from time.

The Australians have netted a total of 29 times without letting a goal slip.

Courtesy from Brunei Times