Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
Late goals sink DPMM FC
Saturday, June 29, 2013

His Royal Highness Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah (L), the Deputy Sultan, attends a football match between DPMM FC and Albirex Niigata FC (S), held at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas last night. DPMM FC suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Albirex Niigata FC (S) in the Singapore League (S-League). Picture: BT/Saiful Omar

DPMM FC striker Adi Said (R)
rises for a header during
their S-League match against
Albirex Niigata FC (S) last
night at Hassanal Bolkiah
National Stadium in Berakas.
DPMM FC lost the match 2-0.
Picture: BT/ Saiful Omar

DPMM FC suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Albirex Niigata FC (S) in the Singapore League (S-League) at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas last night.

The Bruneian side were clearly outplayed by their opponents despite coming into the match in top form following their 5-2 win over Tanjong Pagar United in the quarter-finals of the Singapore League Cup.

It was another disappointing result especially since DPMM FC only gave the game away late into the match, Albirex's Kento Nagasaki and Masatake Sato finding the back of the net only in the final 13 minutes.

"I know Albirex Niigata is a team that can wait for 90 minutes and score goals. We lost concentration late in the game. We made a mistake and they punished us," DPMM FC coach Vjeran Simunic said after the game.

"Because of our big desire to win, we brought in Adi Said to replace Pg Sallehuddin Pg Damit in the second-half.

"I put in Adi (a striker) to push Albirex defenders in their own half. But, we made mistakes and Albirex Niigata showed tonight that they deserve to be (one of the top teams) this season," said Simunic.

Joao Moreiera and Lithuanian Arturas Rimkevicius started up front for DPMM FC with Brazilian midfielder Rodrigo Tosi operating in that free role behind the two strikers.

DPMM FC kicked off the game on the right foot, passing well and putting on a strong showing in the midfield for the first 15 minutes of the game.

They dominated ball possession and pushed Albirex Niigata deep inside their own half.

Moreira was the first to test the Albirex defence when he rose above them to connect on a Rosmin Hj Khamis corner but his header went just wide.

Rimkevicius should have put the home side ahead when he made a run inside the penalty box through a pass by Hj Subhi Hj Abdillah Bakir but Albirex Niigata centre-back Kento Fukada sacrificed his body to block the shot on goal.

DPMM FC continued to control the game and it looked as if an DPMM FC goal was inevitable, only to have the tables turned in the second half.

Albirex Niigata started to press harder in the midfield at the restart, especially when DPMM FC were moving the ball about in their own half.

The Japanese team aggressive play put DPMM FC on the back foot and they begun to crack under pressure, making uncharacteristic mistakes.

This was not to say the local side were helpless. They tried to mount counter attacks whenever Albirex Niigata pushed on too aggressively.

Adi came on for Pg Sallehuddin at the start of the second-half as DPMM FC chased for a win.

But the fluid passes had deserted DPMM FC who now moved the ball rather slowly, allowing the visitors to compose and reorganised their defence.

When DPMM FC tried to move the ball quickly, they failed to connect with their team-mates.

Albirex finally broke the deadlock in the 77th minute when Nagasaki latched perfectly onto a Brunojunichi Suzukicastanheira pass before slashing the shot past Wardun Hj Yussof in the goal.

They doubled the lead seven minutes later when Masatake Sato headed home a Shingo Suzuki corner from the right.

Over at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore Tampines Rover defeated Warriors FC 1-0 as they cemented their position at the top of the table with 34 points.

DPMM FC remain rooted in eighth position in the 12-team table with 18 points after last night's loss.

Courtesy from Brunei Times