Official Website of Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
HRH withdraws from Guangzhou
Friday, 12th November 2010

His Royal Highness Prince Hj Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown Prince and Senior Minister at the Prime Minister's Office, has decided to withdraw from the Guangzhou Asian Games.

A press release issued by the Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council (BNOC) yesterday stated that His Royal Highness will not compete in the cue sports event at the November 12-27 multi-sport event.

The decision has been made due to "inconsistent treatment" from the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) and the Guangzhou Asian Games Organising Committee (GAGOC) regarding the decision that had been agreed upon earlier concerning the accommodation for His Royal Highness throughout the duration of his participation in the Asian Games, the local council said.

An early booking and payment of a deposit to the Ritz Carlton Hotel had been made on October 15, it said.

This booking was then cancelled by the Ritz Carlton Hotel on Monday, the local Olympic council added, with the excuse that the Ritz Carlton Hotel was the assigned hotel for officers from the OCA even though there is another hotel that had been already assigned as the official hotel for the Asian Games.

Courtesy from Brunei Times