BRUNEI kicked off their campaign in the 25th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games on a sad note after losing in the men's nine-ball doubles quarter-finals yesterday at the Don Chan Palace Hotel Convention Hall here.
His Royal Highness Prince Hj Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown Prince and Senior Minister at the Prime Minister's Office, and Teo Chee Soon put up a strong challenge but the pair's effort was not good enough against Vietnam's Do Hoang Quan and Luong Chi Dung.
His Royal Highness Prince Hj Al-Muhtadee Billah, the Crown Prince and Senior Minister at the Prime Minister's Office, and Teo Chee Soon put up a strong challenge but the pair's effort was not good enough against Vietnam's Do Hoang Quan and Luong Chi Dung..
Vietnam kept their momentum and won the next two games to go 4-2, but Brunei fought back and threatened at 3-4.
That, however, proved to be the Bruneian duo's last gallant stand as the Vietnamese pair went on to sweep the last three games to win the match 7-3.
Present to watch the match were HRH Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah and Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Muda Abdul Qawi.
"The Vietnamese players are good," said Teo, making his first appearance in the tournament. He joined the World 10-Ball Championship in Manila last year.
"It was a good match," said chef de mission Hj Muhd Zamri Dato Paduka Hj Hamdani, who together with other Brunei officials watched the competition.
Favourites Francisco Bustamante and Efren Reyes, both seasoned players from the Philippines, also failed to advance to the semi-finals after absorbing a 4-7 shocking defeat to Nitiwat Kanjanasri and Surathep Phoochalam of Thailand.
In other matches, Muhammad Bewi Simanjunt and Ricky Yaang of Indonesia defeated Ibrahim Amir and Lee Poh Soon of Malaysia 7-2 to arrange a semi-final showdown with Chan Keng Kwang and Toh Lian Han of Singapore, who scored a 7-4 victory over Hongsavade Kongsaise and Phopadid Vongsombun of Laos.
HRH Prince Hj Al-Muhtadee Billah and Teo will return to action in the men's nine-ball singles scheduled on Dec 15.
The Crown Prince will be up against Phopadid Vongsombun of Laos while Teo will face Dennis Orcollo of the Philippines.
Orcollo won the inaugural World 9-Ball Championship in Qatar and the China leg of the Asian 9-Ball Tour last year. He was BCA World 9-ball champion and World 8-Ball runner-up in 2007. He also won the Reno Open and World Pool League in 2006.
Asked to comment about his upcoming duel with Orcollo, the 32-year-old Teo said: "I haven't met him before. I'm also looking for a chance to win. I will do my best."
Meanwhile, Brunei's karate-do team begin their medal quest today with three exponents competing in individual kumite at the Chao Anouvong Stadium Budo Centre.
Dk Nurleha Pg Abd Rahman takes on Thin Thin Thu Za of Myanmar in the women's below 55kg category, with the winner advancing to the semi-finals.
Mainudin Hj Mohammad is also eyeing a semi-final berth when he meets Hendro Salim of Indonesia in the men's below 84kg division.
Md Jamil Hj Abd Hamid battles Pham Quang Duy of Vietnam in the men's above 84kg division with the hope of making the last four.
The four other karate-do athletes will see action tomorrow. They are Masdiana Hj Tengah in the women's below 50kg division, Eddie Jofriani Hj Johari in the men's below 55kg division, Mohd Fidaiy Hj Sanif in the men's below 60kg division and Mohammad Fadillah Hj Sanif in the men's below 67kg division.
Taekwondo's Mohd Fatullah Mohd Taib, entered in the men's finweight category, will also compete tomorrow at the National University Booyong Gymnasium.
Action in wushu will start on Dec 13 at the Lao International Trade Exhibition and Convention Centre, which is also the venue of pencak silat competitions starting on Dec 14.
Courtesy from Brunei Times